Thursday, August 23, 2012

POEMS FOR BIG, BURLY MEN!

I'm stuck at home as have to be around while this young guy fixes the air conditioner. He thought it cool I am a poet, and joked maybe I could write a poem for his girlfriend. Instead, I said that I’ll “fix him up” with an entire poetry book! (I have some-hah) signed to his girlfriend after he finishes the repair. That’s what poetry books are good for, you know—to ensure the repairmen (aka: “Big, Burly Men”) do a good job...


When I’m not out there shoving my books at Big, Burly Men, I’m buying other poets’ books! You should, too! In fact, I just ordered from Horse Less Press’ Two-Chaps-For-$14 Special (that’[s a good deal!). I ordered Rebecca Loudon’s and Norma Cole’s chaps! Speaking of which, here’s my latest update to my BOUGHT POETRY LIST (publications bought since I last posted my list):

MORE ADVENTURES IN MONOCHROME by John Yau

CRAZY BRAVE: A MEMOIR by Joy Harjo

MUTATING THE SIGNATURE: QUARRTSILUNI, edited by Dana Guthrie Martin and Dave Bonta

THE COUNTRY ROAD by James Laughlin

POEMS 1955-1959 AND AN ESSAY IN AUTOBIOGRAPHY by Boris Pasternak

BONESHEPHERDS by Patrick Rosal

YEAR OF REVERSIBLE LOSS by Norma Farber

OUR LADY OF THE RUINS: POEMS by Traci Brimhall

FABRIC by Richard Froude

THE SOFT PLACE by Kate Schapira

CLOUDFANG :: CAKEDIRT by Daniela Olszewska

HERE IS A MINI-PARADE by Kate Schapira and Daniela Olszewska

SCENTED RUSHES by Nada Gordon

REGARDING WAVE by Gary Snyder

SILENCES: THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF LOSS by Eileen R. Tabios
Yes, dears, I also occasionally buy my own books (which is good news as this means that I had to let go of my own inventory for some good cause like gifts or, in this case, because someone wants to review it!). But while I don’t mind giving away poetry books (especially to Big, Burly Men), it’s always special when someone buys them—you poets know what I’m talkin’ about!


P.S. I'm about to order Rene Ricard's LOVE POEMS because I was moved by Jack Kimball's post on him--love that idea by John Wieners: the time to write about love is as aftermath...

Labels: , ,