Sunday, July 01, 2012

KUDOS TO HORSE LESS PRESS!

One more update to moi Recently Relished W(h)ine List before I head off the mountain for a couple of weeks.  I'm almost scared to begin including again the section "City Slicker's Harvest."  Said City Slicker would be Moi--aligned with my usual (in)competence at domestic duties, I seem to struggle with harvesting humongous bounties from my garden in Napa Valley, surely one of the most fertile spots on earth.  But, okay, I'll open moiself up to this bit of humiliation so you at least can harvest some amusement.  First, a photo of this summer garden's first bounties!  Aren't they beautiful!



Here then is another update of my Recently Relished W(h)ine List below. As regards books, I've said before that I don’t assign myself poetry publications to review. I just read as widely as I can and what moves me to engage with them end up being the books I review. Well, I just read Daniela Olszewska’s new book, cloudfang :: cakedirt. It’s not a review copy, but something I had bought (yes, I buy poetry!). It ended up being such a satisfying read that it is the second poetry collection I will be reviewing for the next issue of Galatea Resurrects!  Its publisher, Horse Less Press, by the way, is releasing some fine work (including Richard Froude's FABRIC--a poet new to me and whose work I simply find to be magnificent); check out this publisher!

Finally, in the Publications section, note that if you see an asterisk before the title, that means a review copy is available for Galatea Resurrects! More info on that HERE.


CITY SLICKER SUMMER HARVEST
8 yellow squash
6 eggplant
1 zucchini


PUBLICATIONS
BONESHEPHERDS, poems by Patrick Rosal (ay! Ket nagsayaat met daytoy nga Ilocano!)

* CEMETERY CHESS: SELECTED AND NEW POEMS by Sandy McIntosh (Sandy is one of those poets who deserve more attention—I don’t really know of anyone doing the combo of surrealism and humor that he does, and does so deftly. Nor am I biased simply because he has poems here dedicated to my husband and my dogs as well as another poem entitled “Eileen R. Tabios”….read him, Peeps: he’s worth the attention!)

CLOUDFANG :: CAKEDIRT by Daniela Olszewska (see above; deeply satisfying read)

YEAR OF REVERSIBLE LOSS, poems-memoir by Norma Farber (stunning. Makes me now go look into her other poems which I’ve never read)

FABRIC, poems by Richard Froude (wow. a BIG discovery of a profound writer. Brilliant poet)

DECK OF DEEDS, poems by Rodrigo Toscano (smart)

* BLACK BIRDS : BLUE HORSE, poems by Natalie Peeterse

* WORDS ON EDGE, poems by Michael Leong (a consistently intelligent poetic presence)

* FIFTEEN POEMS by Bobbie Louise Hawkins

THE NEIGHBORHOODS OF MY PAST SORROW, poems by Jesse Millner

THE SOFT PLACE, poems by Kate Schapira (lovely)

HERE IS A MINI-PARADE, poems by Kate Schapira and Daniela Olszewska

FROM THE SOFT PLACE/THINGS TO DO IN PERSONFORM, poetry broadside by Kate Schapira and Daniela Olszewska

OUR LADY OF THE RUINS, poems by Traci Brimhall

EVERY DRESS A DECISION, poems by Elizabeth Austen

AUFGABE #11, literary journal edited by E. Tracy Grinnell, Julian T. Brolawski and erica kaufman which includes a usefully educational section on Salvadoran poetry edited by guest editor Christian Nagler

PACK OF TWO: THE INTRICATE BOND BETWEEN PEOPLE AND DOGS by Caroline Knapp

SAN FRANCISCO INTERIORS, text by Diane Dorens Saeks and photography by Alan Weintraub

THE PERFECT COUNTRY COTTAGE, photographic study by Bill Laws

CITY OF THE SUN, novel by David Levien

13 MILLION DOLLAR POP, novel by David Levien

THE ACCIDENT, novel by Linwood Barclay

VENGEANCE, novel by Stuart M. Kaminsky

ALWAYS SAY GOODBYE, novel by Stuart M. Kaminsky


WINES
1998 Fox Creek shiraz cabernet franc McLaren Vale
2000 Isis pinot noir Santa Barbara
1991 Philip Togni cabernet NV
2010 Veedercrest chardonnay Ruhl Vineyard Yountville.
2011 Kathy Fleming sauvignon blanc
2003 Kistler pinot noir
2005 Mount Veeder cabernet

Labels: