Saturday, December 27, 2008

MOI AM NOT NEWCASTLE AND YOU AIN'T BRINGIN' COALS

As usual, I didn't get a single poetry book for the holidays. That's one of Moi's paradoxes: people rarely gift me poetry books unless it's a new release and the author thus knows I don't have it yet.

A pal was saying that maybe I intimidate people against giving me poetry books. So here's for the record -- I am always DELIGHTED to receive any poetry publication -- that's ANY poetry publication. And if you just wish to make sure I already don't own it, all you have to do is check HERE to see what I already have in moi library. Kapishkie? Before I die, I plan to read all poetry publications ever created...and if I don't, I guess I'll just stay immortal.

Well, if no one bought me a poetry book, I nonetheless bought some recently, to wit:
ASTROMETRY ORGONON by Mark Lamoreaux

THE HAY(NA)KU ANTHOLOGY, VOL. II, Co-Eds. Jean Vengua & Mark Young

FRAGILE REPLACEMENTS by William Allegrezza

I got the above in order to give them away through this wonderful Literary Secret Santa Gift Exchange -- it's interesting, btw, to see what folks give as poetry-related presents.

Additionally, I recently-purchased:
PRIVATE EDITION: SONNETS AND OTHER POEMS by Tarrosa Subido, the first Filipino writer in English and first Filipino published in American magazines.

SONNETS FROM A GARDENER by Abelardo Subido, the perfect accompaniment to above. Tarrosa and Abelardo apparently are known as the Filipino Brownings. (Brown Brownings -- chuckle...)

IMPOSTURE NOTEBOOKS by Lance Phillips

SORRY, TREE by Eileen Myles (happy to have it, even though I got it in a weird way)

Another copy of BAP 2008 (sigh)

NEST by Mei-mei Berssenbrugge (a pristine, signed copy -- I thought it cheap at $10 and I saw it at The Great Overland Book Company in San Francisco which sells "fine used" books)

ZOMBIE NOTES by Maureen Owen

NOVALESS by Nicholas Manning (already owned, but bought it for a GR reviewer)

KALI'S BLADE by Michelle Bautista (already owned, but bought it for a GR reviewer)

GOD'S SILENCE by Franz Wright

NOTES FROM THE AIR: SELECTED LATER POEMS by John Ashbery

I have more items to buy (e.g. GRAVITY & GRACE by Ernesto Priego) but am having trouble with Lulu which suddenly and unfathomably doesn't recognize my zip code....

Labels: , , , ,