Thursday, December 28, 2006

RE. CHILD ABUSE (FROM PUBLIC SERVICE POETICS)

When Ron Silliman tagged me to reveal 5 things not known about myself, I hadn't expected to share the potential child-molester incident. In fact, after that incident, I'd never told that tale to anyone...until Ron's tag (weird -- what one reveals only through the blog).

I'd never told that tale to anyone, including my parents (nor would Mom know now since she doesn't do the internet thing). I am revisiting this issue because, to my surprise, a few peeps backchanneled about it. And one of them said she, at age 7 or 8, was also faced by a child molester, and she also never told her parents.

She and I never told our parents! This is the point I want to focus on. I don't want to speak on behalf of the other person and so will only say on my own behalf that, yes, I didn't raise the issue because I didn't want to worry my parents who already had a lot on their plate (e.g. trying to figure out how best to feed and clothe and house a family of six newly-immigrated to a new country).

Thing is -- how do kids get to the point where they don't mention something like this to parents? I don't have human children and so can't speak to this issue. But I'm assuming that, if you are a parent and this occurred, you'd want to know about it...?

I don't know. I don't really know what to say on this matter. But -- and really, I mean well -- I post this because, I don't know -- maybe my fumbling about through this post on this matter will jog something in you parents )?) on raising children in what can be such a dangerous world.

To my loved ones -- and that would be all of you -- I also wish you all safety.