Tuesday, July 02, 2013

BEYOND LIFE SENTENCES ... GOES FURTHER BEYOND

My first poetry book is BEYOND LIFE SENTENCES published in 1998 by Anvil, one of the Philippines' leading presses. That book has stayed mostly in the Philippines, though some of its poems appeared in my other books (like THE THORN ROSARY). Now, about 15 years later, I understand it will be released as an e-book.

If I had heard the news of its e-book version (that presumably widens its audience) say, seven years ago, I probably would have cringed. I would have doubted some of those "baby poems" notwithstanding Nick's (too generous) blurb. Now, I only feel gratitude at the continuing interest in those poems -- Nick was also the first to tell me that one should never begrudge (so to speak) one's early poems. I'm happy and relieved that, on this matter anyway, I've matured.

(Interesting to hear that one of its poems, never reprinted aftrer its appearance in BLS, was recently quoted in Goodreads ... thank you to the quoter ... particularly as this poem has an interesting history: it was first published in a journal but the journal's editor was extremely pissed at having to publish it as he didn't like it, but didn't want to renege on his commitment to publish a poem by me; obviously, he was expecting one of my -- how to put it -- more straightforward poems, rather than the pomo density I tossed his way.  C'est la vie ...)

Thanks to Anvil to all involved. When I know details of the e-book's release, naturally I will post. And I will be grateful to post.



Labels: ,