Tuesday, May 21, 2013

SORTA QUEASY NOOSE...

This latest installation of my “Bought Poetry” list comes with a couple of twists. The first is that, technically, my purchases include my own newer books, THE AWAKENING and the relational elations of ORPHANED ALGEBRA (the latter penned with j/j hastain). I bought these two copies from a local fundraising sale that included books. Imagine my surprise – then kinda-queasiness – at seeing my books obviously deaccessioned by someone in order to be at this “rummage sale.” ‘Twas actually a good deal for me as the price they charged was lower than my author’s cost for copies, and the copies were in “new” (vs used) condition. I’m assuming these were unused review copies—and, hey, at least their sales back to the author were for a good cause. But still: kinda queasy -- I'm a big girl (and I know most review copies are never reviewed), but coming across them so physically this way has never happened to me before …

The second twist is that part of the list below is from the inventory of one of my publishers in the Philippines who’s retiring. Fortunately, someone was traveling from there to the U.S. so that I didn’t have to pay the international postal rate that would have made the books extremely expensive. Always HAPPY to have Giraffe books in the Poetry Library!

So here’s my latest “Bought Poetry” list which, while usually of poetry collections, also includes books in other genres (in today's list, a novel, essay collection and political science) if the authors are also poets.
THE AWAKENING by Eileen R. Tabios

THE RELATIONAL ELATIONS OF ORPHANED ALGEBRA by Eileen R. Tabios and j/j hastain

MY FAVORITE WARLORD by Eugene Gloria

REALISM by Tom Mandel

MOTHER WAS A TRAGIC GIRL by Sandra Simonds

COLLECTED POEMS by Enoch Powell

A CUP OF SUN: A BOOK OF POEMS by Joan Walsh Anglund

SONGS OF INNOCENCE (color facsimile of the First Edition with 31 Color Plates) by William Blake

Giraffe Books:
POEMS AT WAR by Jose Ma. Espino

A BLADE OF FERNS by Edith Tiempo

MARGINAL ANNOTATIONS by Edith Tiempo

FLYING OVER KANSAS by Rowena Tiempo Torrevilas

FILIPINA INSURGENCY: WRITING AGAINST PATRIARCHY IN THE PHILIPPINES by E. San Juan

CIRCLES WITH OPEN ENDS by Diana T. Gamalinda

STORIES FROM SHAKESPEARE by Eva Villanueva






Labels: