Thursday, July 06, 2006

THE LIGHT THAT LEFT HIS BODY ENTERED THINE EYES

through a poem. A poem I just completed. A month of research. A day of writing. A six-part poem. And so the first draft for my 2007 book is done. This poem begins that book. This poem is entitled "What Can A Daughter Say" and begins. after an epigraph by Stanley Kunitz, as:

"O Heart, this is a dream I had, or not a dream.
Lovingly, lovingly, I wept, but my tears did not rhyme."
-from "Poem" by Stanley Kunitz

I.
O Heart, my father was not Idi Amin who killed 100,000 to half-a-million in Uganda.

O Heart, my father was not Ion Antonescu who killed 300,000 Romanian Jews and half-a-million Romanian soldiers.


*****end of excerpt*****

Well, you can't tell from the above but though this is the most overtly political book I will have written, it still, "at the end of the day", literally ends with a

[GRIN]

I may risk it all in poker, but I never play to lose.

Labels: