Wednesday, December 21, 2011

SUPPORT YOUR LIBRARIES!

Our local library has a holiday fundraiser where one can purchase an ornament to hang on their tree and with that purchase is the ability to write a message on a "leaf". Here's what Moi did on the fly:



Yeah: "Reading is healthy!"

Library fundraisers, of course, are worth supporting. My updated BOUGHT POETRY list below includes some that I recently purchased through the library fundraiser -- it's an indication of poetry's state of affairs that those books essentially were purchased for cents on the dollar (sigh: while I like the dollar-savings, I don't like the implications of "value" ascribed to the poetry books). Anyhoo, here they are:
SELECTED POEMS by Harvey Shapiro

RADIUS OF LIGHT by Joshua Auerbach

A POINT IS THAT WHICH HAS NO PART by Liz Waldner

THE BEAUTIFUL LESSON OF THE I by Frances Brent

THE GREAT ENIGMA: NEW COLLECTED POEMS by Tomas Transtrumer, Trans. by Robin Fulton

HOMECOMING: NEW AND COLLECTED POEMS by Julia Alvarez


From Library Sale
TIME AND MATERIALS: POEMS 1997-2005 by Robert Hass

FULL HORIZON by Bruce McEver

THE SACRED GEOMETRY OF PEDESTRIANS by Ken Weisner

THE SWORDFISH TOOTH by Cynthia Zarin

FIRST INDIAN ON THE MOON by Sherman Alexie

OBSERVE THE LARK by Katie Louchheim

TRAVELING IN REFLECTED LIGHT by Andrena Zawinski

ATLANTIS by Louis Dudek

A FURTHER RANGE by Robert Frost

THE BEST AMERICAN POETRY 2007, Guest Editor Heather McHugh

It wouldn't surprise me if I'm the only library patron that buys poetry books. Basically, when I see poetry in these fundraisers, I buy them all if they're poetry. At least they'll get a HOME better than the deaccessioned shelf.

Labels: ,