Wednesday, September 21, 2011

'EDNA IS GOOD"

Yes, usually the word “bankers” elicits an Ugh nowadays. But yesterday my local banker made MOI DAY! I was talking about a banking problem (what else) with her and her computer was slow (of course). During said slow period, she chit-chatted with me as she’s personable … and Moi is personable, too. ‘Twas during that chit-chat that I mentioned my "business" Meritage Press and the Great Recession in poetry publishing and she replied by saying she’s bought a poetry book!

Yep. She’s bought a poetry book! Just to be sure my elation was not over-the-top, I asked whether she’s a poet when not doing her day job. Nope, she’s not a poet. AND SHE BOUGHT A POETRY BOOK!!!!!!

So, WOOOOOT!

I asked, which poet? She replied, “Edna … something.”

I enthusiastically riposted, “Ah. Edna St. Vincent Millay.”

“Yes,” she replied. “I read a poem and it spoke to me so I bought the book.”

Wisely, I offered my expert opinion: “Edna is good.”

Then we beamed brightly at each other.

Then her computer caught up with reality, and we returned to my banking problem.

But isn’t that great? I was so happy to meet a non-poet who voluntarily buys poetry books. Okay, maybe I should say “poetry book” as in singular. For all I know, that may be the only poetry book she’s ever bought. But, if so, she’s still ahead of general culture, yah?! So definitely worth a Nota Bene.

And speaking of which, here’s my latest list of recently-purchased poetry books or books by poets:

bough breaks by Tamiko Beyer

ROAD SONG FOR by Lars Palm

THE DESECRATION OF DOVES by Arlene Ang

ADOPTION PAPERS by Jackie Kay

KALI'S BLADE by Michelle Bautista

PARTS AND OTHER PIECES by Tom Beckett

SILK EGG: COLLECTED NOVELS (2009-2009) by Eileen R. Tabios (As this blog is about Moi, I non-apologetically suggest you buy it, too! GO HERE for the ordering links through various venues.)


Sure, the list could be more voluminous. But how are you doing with your poetry purchases?

Labels: , ,