Thursday, December 03, 2009

POETRY VS. POEM? NOT!

I've long thought this insular poetry-world debate of "Poetry Vs. Poem" is another one of those false binaries (that sometimes come up too often because some poets love to hear themselves talk -- I say that with affection, of course).

Reading now through two books by and on kari edwards, I recall again just how impressed I've always been by kari -- I've always thought kari to be special for, among many other things, making irrelevant this "Poetry vs. Poem" debate, for showing just how small this debate is. kari embodies for me what I strive for in "Poetry as a Way of Life." I suspect I'm preparing a longer essay on this topic, but meanwhile:

I suggest you check out the two books just lovingly released from A Venn Diagram Production between Litmus Press & Belladonna Books:
BHARAT JIVA by kari edwards

NO GENDER: REFLECTIONS ON THE LIFE & WORK OF kari edwards, Eds. Julian T. Brolaski, erica kaufman, and E. Tracy Grinnell (including Cara Benson, Frances Blau, Mark Brasuell, Julian T. Brolaski, Reed Bye, Marcus Civin, CAConrad, Donna de la Perrière, E. Tracy Grinnell, Rob Halpern, Jen Hofer, Brenda Iijima, Lisa Jarnot, erica kaufman, Kevin Killian, Wendy Kramer, Joseph Lease, Rachel Levitsky, Joan MacDonald, Bill Marsh, Chris Martin, Yedda Morrison, Eileen Myles, Akilah Oliver, Tim Peterson, Ellen Redbird, Leslie Scalapino, Michael Smoler, Sherman Souther, Eleni Stecopoulos, and Anne Waldman)

As the saying goes, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Labels: , ,