Thursday, June 25, 2009

FOR THE RECORD, ON JOSE GARCIA VILLA

Over at Zoland Poetry, Craig Santos Perez reviews DOVEGLION: COLLECTED POEMS OF JOSE GARCIA VILLA released by Penguin.

Many fine points in this review for which I am appreciative -- thanks to Craig for his attention and work.

Unfortunately, it recycles a widespread misperception about Villa, to wit Craig's last paragraph which mentions Villa's "blind spot" in that Villa presumably possessed an "unwavering belief that social, cultural and historical concerns had no place in poetry."

WRONG.

Factually, Villa believed no such thing. I feel the need to e-note a correction as this is such a common enough misperception that I wasn't surprised -- though was dismayed -- to see it pop up in Craig's review.

I could wax longer but ... let me just note that for the record.

Right now, I just wish to Rock with You, Michael Jackson...R.I.P.

Labels: