Thursday, April 30, 2009

THAT POET-ENTITLEMENT THING

I don't have much spare time. Hence, I don't attend many poetry readings....and have even stopped doing them (not that I intended to stop but I just realized I've bagged out of doing readings for nearly two years now). So, yes, I wanted to note last night's poetry reading -- but whooooooo boy I didn't expect my prior post to get so much reaction. Why?

BECAUSE SO MANY OF YOU APPARENTLY HAVE EXPERIENCED THAT TORTUOUS FEELING OF BEING A CAPTIVE AUDIENCE TO SOME POET EVINCING SUCH A HIGH DEGREE OF ENTITLEMENT THAT S/HE LECTURES AS IF SAID S/HE IS A FOUNTAIN OF HIGH WISDOM!

(What's worse is when the poem being delivered is ... uh ... small...)

By the way, she continues to giggle, I recall seeing one poet do this in the past and catch himself in a fit of self-awareness. To excuse his pretentious self, you know what that poet did? He gamely chuckled, "Sorry, it's just that I'm a professor...."

Well, talk about giving academia a bad name. But also, are poetry students doling out hard-earned money for tuition in order to be tortured in the schools?

Oh. My.

.

Labels: