Tuesday, December 05, 2006

for kari

THE DELIRIOUS HEM has republished my engagement with kari edwards' book IDUNA. I just want to note: there is a deliberate "slippage" into the "she" pronoun in 2nd to last paragraph of review. For me, it was because -- as with Lisa Jarnot (who writes so movingly on kari here) -- kari was the first to make me think about transgender issues...and it was not an easy process for me to get past my preconceptions on gender. I've never publicly noted this "slippage" in my Moria review until now -- I guess I felt I should just note this now because I didn't want people to think that, in that review, the "typo" came from a disrespectful slackness...

When I progressed in learning about gender from kari, it also only improved my own poetry.

Meanwhile, Geoffrey Gatza has released a book that he'd been in the middle of preparing when kari died. It's now available here as a free .pdf. If people (more than one is okay) want to engage with kari's newly-released e-book from BlazeVox, I would be honored to include it in next issue of Galatea Resurrects...