Monday, November 13, 2006

MOI SELF PORTRAIT

By the way, I have to say that Moi's absolute SHOCKER while I was in New York this weekend had nothing to do with poetry or wine. 'Twas sculpture.

As I'm wont to do in New York, I did some galleries and stopped off to see George Adams (and George Adams Gallery) in Chelsea. The current exhibition was by Lesley Dill who's often created some marvelous combines of imagery and text. What I didn't expect to see was a de facto SELF-PORTRAIT OF MOI through her sculpture entitled "Standing Man With Radiating Words."

Click here for the image -- it doesn't give the full impact, but the concept is that here's a human with WINGS from his back and the WINGS are made of LETTERS. Ooomph! The poet turned that corner into utter self-recognition.

Poetry -- the huge wing-spanned flight of letters...!