Tuesday, October 17, 2006

TITULAR POETICS

or "Kyo Poetics", Part II!

Guillermo writes in as regards the title of my 2007 Marsh Hawk Press book, and I repost since I don't have a Comments section (thanks Guillermo!):

Reading about your upcoming book, THE LIGHT SANG AS IT LEFT YOUR EYES, at your blog, the title has stayed with me for several days now. It's a fantastic title. It resonates very much with me, it's a poem in itself. For some reason (I think phonetic) it reminds me of the title of a song by The Smiths called "The Boy with the Thorn in His Side" (from their LP THE QUEEN IS DEAD). Maybe they end up being metrically the same? Anyways, that song is perhaps my favorite by The Smiths. For some reason, your title connects me to that song. The subjective mysteries of reading, I suppose.

Believing as much as I do in the power of titles, I can't wait to read your book.


Guillermo later adds that he first heard the Smiths LP in 1986 when he was in high school and, quoting John Wieners, "I ain't been able to forget..."

Catchy title...catchy song...catches upon memory.