Thursday, October 12, 2006

ILLEGIBLE POETICS

Nick Carbo and I are currently working on a collaborative poem...which is how I learned the dude is currently in Sevilla (lucky you!). And now he's posted on his carbonated blog a photo of FILIPINOS. That's the chocolate-covered cookie, mind you.

I remember when I first learned of the "Filipino" as a pastry, as something to be eaten, as a snack. As objectified into a sweet. 'Twas at Fundacion Valparaiso, the artist colony in Almeria, Spain, from my colony-hopping days. Spain, of course, was a 3-century colonizer of the Philippines...

I mentioned my discomfort with naming a cookie a "Filipino". The listening peeps looked at me with varying degrees of stupefaction and unanimously dismissed my concern.

That's okay. It's really a Trojan Horse strategy. Make everyone think a Filipino is (a) sweet. Then the sweet turns on your objectifying gaze with its calories and bad fat.

You won't ever see this topic in any of my poems viz their narratives. But it's there viz their sensibility. An example of Moi's Asemic writing.