Saturday, June 19, 2010

TWEEN SILLINESS

Knucklehead--that's what Moi thinks whenever Michael does something silly. Often, something silly because tweens just can't help themselves sometimes. Like, we just got his fourth quarter grades. Boy got his best grade results yet -- STRAIGHT A's....except for one class. And that one class? Of all things: Chorus.

Chorus! The easiest class he had (he basically just had to show up and participate but couldn't really be judged on his singing ability, or lack thereof). Why? Cause he disliked Chorus so much that he never took it seriously. So for this one class project whose results brought down his grades, he apparently messed around in class instead of paid attention. His classmates graded each other for that project--and they gave his group a B-. I was so irritated that -- and also for turning it into a "teachable moment" -- I made him volunteer to do an extra credit paper. That paper, which was actually good in helping him practice English writing, brought his final 4th grade result to a B.

Still, straight As except for that B which would have been so easy (versus, say, Math or Science where he worked his butt off) to get an A. Sigh. Fortunately, I'm not one of those "hovering helicopters."

Y'all know what a "hovering helicopter" is? Apparently, it's the term for parents who closely hover over their children. Hey, at least I'm not a "Black Hawk" parent! (click on link to see what I mean)...

....whrrrrr, whrrrrrr, whrrrrr....

***

Here's an older photo of Michael with some visitors -- I keep forgetting to post it. But I post it because I love these two darling girls ...



... and stumbling across this photo made me remember another recent incident. I had limited Michael to "60,000 girlfriends"? Well, he came up to me the other day and announced,

"Mom, I've broken up with the bees. This means I can begin to look for 60,000 new girlfriends, right?!"

....whrrrrr, whrrrrrr, whrrrrr....

Labels: