Friday, April 10, 2009

CATCHING UP TO YESTERDAYS

Thanks for all your good wishes and cooking strategies re Michael. Today, I told him he was not allowed to date until he was 28 years old. He negotiated me down to 21 years of age. So far, so good with this mommyhood stuff...

Meanwhile, I don't know a more visible affirmation of Galatea Resurrects' unanticipated impact on the poetry e-world than the "mile-high" stack of review copies awaiting my return to Galatea's mountain, to be opened and listed HERE for your review consideration. I hope to get to said stack over the next few days. But, I am here now and so you reviewers out there can start sending me your reviews for the next issue; note the April 30 deadline please....

...Also, while I was gone, Meritage Press inaugurated its first Kindle publication -- this be Kali's Blade by Michelle Bautista. All well and good but while the publisher is away, the authors will play: this Kindle edition was priced by the author at $0.99 per Kindle book. That gets Moi about a profit of 30 cents for each edition sold -- and why do I not overturn this poet's pricing, you ask? Well, it's because she's got a 4th degree black belt while the only martial arts I know involves thumb-wrestling, kapischkie?

...And now, about Moi: while I was gone, these occurred and I'm grateful:

From the Netherlands, I'm interviewed by Haruah: Breath of Heaven. Follow your nose HERE for moi enchanting perfume, including "When it comes to my poetry, so little nowadays is a result of conscious authorial intent."

From Hong Kong, the stupendous NOT A MUSE anthology has just been released. Thanks to editors Viki Holmes and Kate Rogers for asking, such that I've got 3 poems innit.

From the Philippines, my BRICK is used as an intro HERE to a British Life Insurer's recognition of English as one of the major advantages of Filipinos navigating globalization.

From Didi's Casa, I've got a couple of new prose poems partly hearkening the non-biblical Romans in the new issue of Oranges and Sardines.

Thank you all ... and meanwhile, here's my latest Relished W(h)ine List which is bereft of poetry but includes books I normally would not read were it not for the fact that I was going nuts climbing the walls of certain hotel rooms and ended up picking up anything that was writ in English...:

PUBLICATIONS
CASA DE LA MADRE Y EL NINO: 60 ANOS, history by Barbara Maria Vargas Escobar and Barbara Escobar Lopez
THE KNOW-IT-ALL: ONE MAN´S HUMBLE QUEST TO BECOME THE SMARTEST PERSON IN THE WORLD, memoir by A.J. Jacobs
HARD TIMES: AN ORAL HISTORY OF THE GREAT DEPRESSION, by Studs Terkel
THE LAND OF LITTLE RAIN, essays by Mary Austin
ONE GOOD ROAD IS ENOUGH, essays by Robert James Walker
12 SIMPLE SECRETS OF HAPPINESS: FINDING JOY IN EVERYDAY RELATIONSHIPS, self-help by Glenn Van Ekeren (you read some weird stuff waiting for bureaucrats to act)
THE MADONNAS OF LENINGRAD, novel by Debra Dean
A SERVANT´S TALE, novel by Paula Fox
A RATHER LOVELY INHERITANCE, novel by CA Belmond
THE SUCCESSOR, novel by Stephen Frey
THE SLEEPING DOLL, novel by Jeffrey Deaver
THE COLD MOON, novel by Jeffrey Deaver
THE RUN, novel by Stuart Woods
ALL THAT REMAINS, novel by Patricia Cornwell
AIRFRAME, novel by Michael Crichton
DEEPER, novel by Jeff Long
THE CHOICE, novel by Nicholas Sparks
SEDUCTION, novel by Amanda Quick


WINES
2006 Trivento Reserve Malbec (I know: just one wine listed -- having a kid seems to be creating a wet blanket over this habit. But no doubt this self-effacement won't last ...)

Labels: , , , ,