Monday, November 24, 2008

THE CITY SLICKER'S GARDEN RESURRECTS ITSELF

...which is to say, due to travel and the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm behind behind behind on releasing Galatea Resurrects' next issue. Which is further to say, I can still take reviews for the rest of the week, until this Sunday, Nov. 30 -- there are plenty of y'all sitting on your review copies so if you want to squeeze out a review before and after the turkey, feel free!

But what has resurrected is my garden. A "winter garden", according to my helper Senor J. But said senor didn't ask what I wanted planted so I woke up this weekend to find that he'd already made the choices, to wit, accompanying the anticipated releases of my lemon and lime trees are:
Mei Quing Choi (huh? I thought before I realized it's Pac Chow)
Mixed Kale
Mixed Cabbage
Victoria Cherry Rhubarb
Scallions
Strawberry Sequoia
Celery
Broccoli
Upstart

and a few more things I didn't recognize and whose labels weren't planted in ground. Upon discovering this newly-planted winter garden, I ran up the mountain to la casa's kitchen to tell the hubby...and then also asked, "What's an 'upstart'?"

Said hubby rolled his eyes and said, "Eileen, that's the name of the company supplying the plants, not a vegetable."

Oh. So I decided to grumble to hide my shame over my inability to differentiate between a vegetable and a corporation. To wit, I grumbled, "Well why did Senor J. choose those veggies? I don't know how to cook most of them!"

Said hubby rolled his eyes again and said, "Eileen, name the vegetables that you can cook."

Moi shut up then.

And whilst I'm trying to resurrect something, here's the latest Relished W(h)ine List:

PUBLICATIONS
PHANTASMAL REPEATS, poems by Guillermo Parra (presented in the most divine retro print production format)

POETS @ KSP, poems by Mardi May, Jo Mills, Paula Jones, Gail Robinson, Agnes O'Kane, Sally Clarke

INVERSE SKY, poems by John Isles

THE HEAVEN-SENT LEAF, poems by Katy Lederer

ALL OF IT SINGING: NEW AND SELECTED POEMS by Linda Gregg

LIVING WILL, poems by David Hilton

THE INLAND SEA, poems by Brandon Shimoda

THE WARRIOR: A WOMAN'S STORY OF A SON AT WAR, poems by Frances Richey

AUNT LETTUCE: I WANT TO PEEK UNDER YOUR SKIRT, poems by Charles Simic with drawings by Howie Michele

MAKE LONELINESS, poems by J. Reuben Appelman

HUMAN CATHEDRALS, poems by John Sweet

AMAZING GRACE: THE LIVES OF CHILDREN AND THE CONSCIENCE OF A NATION, cultural study by Jonathan Kozol

HOW TO CHANGE THE WORLD: SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURS AND THE POWER OF NEW IDEAS by David Bornstein

CONFESSIONS OF A COUNTERFEIT FARM GIRL, memoir by Susan McCorkindale

ALL THE WAY HOME: BUILDING A FAMILY IN A FALLING-DOWN HOUSE, memoir by David Giffels

THE WISHING YEAR, memoir by Noelle Oxenhandler

FREE FOR ALL: ODDBALLS, GEEKS AND GANGSTAS IN THE PUBLIC LIBRARY, memoir by Don Borchert

THE SILVER BEAR, novel by Derek Hass

DIGGING TO AMERICA, novel by Anne Tyler

SALVATION IN DEATH, novel by J.D. Robb


WINES
1991 Ravenswood Old Hill zinfandel Sonoma Valley
1994 Pesquera Janus
1997 Torbreck RunRig Barossa Valley
2000 Kistler Russian River Valley pinot noir
1989 Ch Cantemerle
2007 Dutch Henry syrah (from the barrel)
1995 Au Bon Climat pinot noir "Isabelle"

Labels: ,