Saturday, August 16, 2008

GOODREADS, A LITERARY BAKE SALE, AND MORE!

So I inadvertently joined GOODREADS (don't ask how "inadvertently" coz I'm a luddite and I can't explain how because I'm a ... luddite). But since I was on, I started logging in my books. Well, about 200 books later, I realize, I'm supposed to rate them as to how, I suppose, they're "good reads." I'd been rating every book I list the maximum five stars since, following how I define "Relish" on moi "Relished W(h)ine List", if the book got me to read it through its last page, then that's good enough for me.

All these peeps who look at the five stars I list on GOODREADS should obviously be aware of above caveat. When it comes to poetry, I practice what I preach -- I don't have gates to guard.

But speaking of more GOOD READS, the deadline is coming up for the special RELEASE OFFER for Mark Young's long-awaited PELICAN DREAMING: POEMS 1959-2008! You have until the end of the month to avail yourself of this GIFT!

Meanwhile, Ahhhh...the pleasure Moi dears of exercising my culinary skills utilizing what I harvest from the garden (and the Peeps who know her relationship with the kitchen shake their heads, rub their eyes, not sure they're reading correctly....). Today, I made fried rice for L U N C H! But, chopped into said rice were green onions, green peppers and tomatoes from the garden! Along with left-overs from the fridge: a carrot, some chicken, half a yellow onion, garlic and broccoli. Geoffrey Gatza -- you better watch out! I'm hot on your trail! (But for dessert, exotic spices and other non-pretender culinary delights, do try BlazeVOX's Extraordinary Bake Sale (with literary raffle) HERE!)

And here's the latest Relished W(h)ine List:

THE CITY SLICKER'S HARVEST (to date)

12 Santa Rosa plums
50 apricots
82 strawberries
1,451 basil leaves
327 purple basil leaves
267 mint leaves
405 pinches of parsley
3 zucchini
2 yellow squash
1 orange squash
84 tomatoes
40 green figs
11 green onion stalks
33 green peppers
8 Japanese eggplants
45 purple table grapes


PUBLICATIONS
OSTERGOTLAND (A FOUND POEM), hay(na)ku sequence by Lars Palm

TERGIVERSATION, poems by Bruna Mori

SEPARATE OBJECTS, poems by Dennis Barone

RAVEN FEATHERS: A COLLECTION OF POEMS by Nicole Nicholson

VERTIGO, poems by Martha Ronk

LOST ORPHICS, poems by James Stotts

NURSERY RHYMES, poems by James Stotts

SKIRT OF BLACK, poems by Sun Yung Shin

THE ROMANCE OF HAPPY WORKERS, poems by Anne Boyer

HAIKU NOT BOMBS by Collectivo Haiku

DECALCOMANIA, ascemic writing by Tim Gaze

SIGNIFICATION & SINIFICATION, essay by Christian Dotremont

THE CRUELEST MILES: THE HEROIC STORY OF DOGS AND MEN IN A RACE AGAINST AN EPIDEMIC, history by Gay Salisbury and Laney Salisbury

RURAL LIFE, essays/memoir by Verlyn Klinkenborg

FOUR SEASONS IN ROME: ON TWINS, INSOMNIA, AND THE BIGGEST FUNERAL IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD, memoir by Anthony Doerr

THE TRANSCENDENT CHILD: TALES OF TRIUMPH OVER THE PAST by Lillian B. Rubin

THE POSTMAN, novel by David Brin

WHEN THE WIND BLOWS, novel by James Patterson

THE LAKE HOUSE, novel by James Patterson

JACK & JILL, novel by James Patterson

DEATH ANGEL, novel by Linda Howard

QUICKSAND, novel by Iris Johansen

THE FIRST 48 HOURS, novel by Tim Green


WINES
2004 Saxum "Broken Stones" Paso Robles
2007 Folie A Deux "Menage A Trois" NV
1994 San Vicente Rioja
2005 Peter Michael "Mont Plaisir"
2003 Dancing Hares cab
1990 Gaja Sperss
2005 or 2006 Verget Chablis
2003 Rausan Despagne
1994 Seavey cabernet

Labels: , ,